NURS 5020: Population Based Health Care
Health and Vital Statistics
- Chicago Health AtlasView info on births, crime, deaths, environmental health, and infectious disease by choosing one of the 77 official community areas in Chicago. All of this data is supplied by the Chicago Department of Public Health.
- Public Health StatisticsStatistics related to public health in Chicago are available from the City of Chicago’s Open Data Portal. Click on a topic below to view the dataset.
- Public Health Statistics by Chicago community areaPublic Health Statistics- Selected public health indicators by Chicago community area.
- City of Chicago Data Portal (Health and Human Services)Check out city statistics collected by the department of Public Health on birth & prenatal care, leading causes of deaths per neighborhood, clinic access, immunization and more.
For more data sets, visit: https://data.cityofchicago.org. Navigate the categories using the menu on the left side.
- Healthy Chicago InitiativeHealthy Chicago is a blueprint for action intended to serve as a framework for a focused, approach to how the CDPH will lead and work with partners to improve the health and well-being of Chicagoans.
- Illinois Youth Survey - Chicago Community ReportsThe IYS is a self-report survey administered in school settings and is designed to gather information about a variety of health and social indicators including substance use patterns and attitudes of Illinois youth.
Chicago Health Information
- City of Chicago Department of Public HealthCheck out the Healthy Chicago initiative, as well as other programs and plans aimed at the people of Chicago
- Find a Neighborhood Health ClinicLocate the Public Health Clinic in your community area.
- Chicago Neighborhood Resource DirectoryListing of services available to Chicago families in the areas of health care, nutrition, social services, education, senior services, and employment organized geographically by Chicago's 77 Community Areas.
More recent information may be available at the Chicago Resource Hub: https://www.chicagoresourcehub.com/etcetera/
Community Area Health Inventory
The Community Area Health Inventories are well-organized reports released by the Chicago Department of Public Health organized by neighborhood.
Note: Because these are older reports they should be only used for comparison.
- Part One: Demographic and Health ProfilesData from 1994 and 2004
- Part Two: Health and Resource InventoryData from 2007
Chicago Health Reports/Publications
The Chicago Plan (2012-2016)
A five-year plan for strengthening the health of the city.
Healthy Chicago Annual Report (2013)
A report outlining the city's public health agenda.
Chicago Hospitals and the Affordable Care Act
Identifies the key priorities of selected Chicago Hospitals based on their Community Needs Assessments.
Life Expectancy in Chicago 1990 - 2001
Life expectancy at birth in Chicago from 1990 - 2001. Identifies the differences in life expectancy among sexes, racial-ethnic groups, and community areas.
Click here to access additional reports published by the Chicago Department of Public Health.
If you are viewing a lengthy report or webpage and want to find information on a particular neighborhood or group, use the CTRL+ F (pc) or CMD ⌘+ F (mac) keys on your keyboard and type in the term that you are searching for. Use the arrow keys (up and down) to find everywhere the word appears throughout the document.
Sinai Urban Health Institute
The Sinai Urban Health Institute is a Chicago organization that addresses urban health issues through data-driven research. Click on "reports/publications" for current information on issues such as diabetes and obesity.