NURS 5015: Health Care Systems
U.S Health Care Resources
Federal Data, Policies, Laws
- Agency for Healthcare Research and QualitySupports research on health care systems, health care quality and cost issues, access to health care, and effectiveness of medical treatments.
- Affordable Care Act WebsiteHere's the official ACA Website, complete with the full text of the bill, insurance exchange information, official timeline of implementation, and the ability to compare providers.
- MedicareInformation about enrolling, medigap plans, cost of medicare, what services are covered, etc.
- MedicaidEligibility information, federal policies, information about state medicaid plans.
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid ServicesFederal agency within the U.S Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) that administers the Medicare program and works in partnership with state governments to administer Medicaid, the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), and health insurance portability standards.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)Information about understanding Health Information Privacy under HIPAA.
- Health IT (Information Technology)Provides information about how health information technology (health IT) makes it possible for health care providers to better manage patient care through secure use and sharing of health information.
- Office of Minority HealthOffers health information about individual health topics and minority groups.
- Joint CommissionAccredits and certifies nearly 21000 health care organizations and programs.
- National Academy of MedicineThe NAM’s initiatives respond to current and emerging needs in health, medicine, and related policy.
- Health and Medicine Division (HMD) division of the National Academies of SciencesHMD previously was the Institute of Medicine (IOM) program unit of the National Academies. Provides independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions related to science, technology, and medicine.
Costs and Funding
- Congressional Budget Office: Health CareThe Congressional Budget Office (CBO) produces independent analyses of budgetary and economic issues to support the Congressional budget process.
- Health Costs, The Henry J. Kaiser Family FoundationProvides benchmark studies and tracks key statistics on growth, level, and impact of rising U.S. health care costs. It covers spending on various medical services, sources of health spending, employer-sponsored health coverage, and the impact on businesses and people. Try the interactive Health Reform Subsidy Calculator.
Healthcare History and Laws
- History of Overhauling Health CareA timeline of legislative landmarks and defeats.
Legislative History, Policies and Reform of Health Care in the United States.
- Health Care ReformCQ Researcher report about health care reform.
If you are off-campus, you need to log in with your North Park username and password to see the report.
- USA.govThe U.S. Government's Official Web Portal (all levels, types and branches). Find a relevant government agency using the A-Z Index of Federal agencies.
- Healthcare.govThe official site of the Health Insurance Marketplace. Information about how the health care law affects you.
- Department of Health and Human ServicesU.S. government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services. The Department has more than 300 programs. Some of them are linked to the right.
- Healthy People.govHealthy People 2020 gives the national goals and status of leading health indicators.
Bills, Laws, Rules, and Regulations
- Regulations.govSearch proposed rules, final rules, read public comments, etc.
- Congress.govUse Congress.gov to find current and historic legislative information, including bills, laws, and histories of legislation.
- Find your RepresentativeThis website will assist you by matching your ZIP code to your congressional district, with links to your member's website and contact page.
- GovTrack.usUse GovTrack to find out who represents you in Congress and what bills they have sponsored.
News and Current Awareness
Health Care in the news.
Kaiser Health News Feed