NURS 2100: Survey of Professional Nursing
Exploratory Paper Resources
The objective of the Exploratory Paper is to explore an aspect of nursing through formal writing and research.
- You will need a least 5 scholarly sources.
- One source may be a non-nursing journal.
- The other 4 sources must be from a peer-reviewed nursing journal.
- Do not use foreign journals.
Where can I find scholarly/peer-reviewed articles?
The library subscribes to very few journals in print. Most scholarly journals can be accessed through online article databases. Using an article database allows you to search hundreds of different journals at once.
Just as you should plan your essay before starting to write, you should also plan your search strategy before searching for relevant articles.
Scholarly vs. Popular
This video explains the differences between scholarly, popular, and trade publications.
Popular vs. Scholarly
Scholarly journal articles:
- written by experts in the field
- aimed at an informed reader
- followed by a bibliography
- include the credentials of the author(s)
- Example: The American Journal of Nursing
Popular magazine articles:
- written by staff reporters
- aimed at the general public
- published more frequently (weekly or monthly)
- Example: Newsweek