THEO 5110: Christian Theology
Diverse Theological Resources
Finding Diversity Authors and Sources
- A useful approach is to search in the catalog and the ATLA Religion Database for your subject or relevant biblical passages, looking under the authors for women, persons of color, ethnic diversity, etc.
- Sometimes the name alone can indicate a diverse ethnicity, sometimes you may need to search the name, looking at faculty webpages, publisher webpages, etc., for information about the person's ethnicity or cultural background.
- Another option is to use some of the suggested terms in the boxes on this page.
- They may be used alone or in conjunction with your subject terms.
- These will retrieve books from and/or about that theological perspective, some of which may address your subject.
- These sources will also include footnotes and bibliography that refer you to other potentially useful authors or sources.
- Another option is to search the contributors to volumes with diverse authors, then search by their name in the catalog and ATLA Religion Database.
- While it may be ideal in some cases to find a woman of color for your research, you may need to use a woman who is not of color and then another source who is a male of color.
- You should note what subjects have fewer scholarly contributions from women or persons of color and ask why that is.
- In some cases it has been because of denial of opportunities to such scholars.
- In other cases, it may reflect the relative significance of the question for scholarship of color or women, itself a noteworthy point. Why is it so much more important to scholars not of color, but not to scholars of color or women?
- Also see this blog post with an extended list of women scholars of biblical, theological, or religious studies: https://maggidawn.net/2015/08/11/there-are-no-women-on-my-theology-bookshelf-2/
African American theology
Asian American theology
Hispanic American theology
- Handbook of Latina/o Theologies byCall Number: BT83.575 .H36 2006
- Reemergence of Liberation Theologies byCall Number: BT83.57 .R44 2013
- Liberation Theology for Armchair Theologians byCall Number: BT83.57 .D4 2013
- Cambridge Companion to Black Theology byCall Number: BT82.7 .C36 2012
- Oxford Handbook of African American Theology (print and online) byCall Number: Ref BT82.7 .O94 2014
- African Theology on the Way: Current Conversations byCall Number: BT30.A35 A35 2010
- African Theology Today byPublication Date: BT30.A4 A37 2002
- Theology Brewed in an African Pot byCall Number: BT30.A35 O76 2008
- Postcolonial Commentary on the New Testament Writings byCall Number: Ref BS2361.3 .P67 2007
- Grassroots Asian Theology: Thinking the Faith from the Ground Up byCall Number: BT75.3 .C4245 2014
- Asian American Christianity byCall Number: BR563.A82 A85 2009
- Santa Biblia: The Bible through Hispanic Eyes byCall Number: BS476 .G66 1996
- International Bible Commentary byCall Number: Ref BS511.2 .I57 1998
- Global Bible Commentary byCall Number: Ref BS491.3 .G57 2004
- Africa Bible Commentary byCall Number: Ref BS491.3 .A47 2006
- True to Our Native Land: An African American New Testament Commentary byCall Number: BS2341.52 .T78 2007; Ref BS2341.52 .T78 2007
- The Talking Book: African Americans and the Bible byCall Number: BS521.2 .C35 2006
- Voices from the Margin: Interpreting the Bible in the Third World byCall Number: BS476 .V65 2006
- African Pentecostalism byCall Number: BR1644.5.A35 K34 2008
- Ways of Being, Ways of Reading: Asian American Biblical Interpretation byCall Number: BS511.3 .W39 2006
- The Spirit, Pathos and Liberation: Toward an Hispanic Pentecostal Theology byCall Number: BR1644 .S65 1998
Feminist / Womanist / Mujerista Resources
- Womanist Theological Ethics byCall Number: BJ1278.F45 W66 2011
- Feminism and Christian Tradition: An Annotated Bibliography and Critical Introduction to the Literature byCall Number: BT83.55 .W34 1999
- Women's Bible commentary, 3rd ed. (print & online) byCall Number: Ref BS491.3 .W66 2012
- IVP Women's Bible Commentary byCall Number: Ref BS521.4 .I97 2002
- Feminist Biblical Interpretation byCall Number: Ref BS521.4 .K6513 2012
- With Passion and Compassion: Third World Women Doing Theology byCall Number: BV639.W7 I58 1986
- Breaking Silence: Theology from Asian Women's Perspective byCall Number: BT83.55 .C486 2006
- Just a Sister Away: A Womanist Vision of Women's Relationships in the Bible byCall Number: BS575 .W39 1988