BSE 3920/SBNM 5510: Health Care Management
Global Health Care
Global Health Care Resources
- Commonwealth Fund: International Health Policy CenterThe Commonwealth Fund is a "private foundation that aims to promote a high performing health care system that achieves better access, improved quality, and greater efficiency." The Fund's international program in health policy is designed to stimulate innovative policies and practices in the United States and other industrialized countries.
- European Observatory on Health Systems and PoliciesFeatures profiles of health care systems in various European countries. It also links to health-related Web sites in each country, including ministries of health, national public health institutes, and centers for health policy, public health, and health economics.
- WHO Statistical Information System (WHOSIS)This interactive database provides core health statistics for the World Health Organization’s 193 member states. It covers more than 100 indicators, which can be accessed by way of a quick search, by major categories, and through user-defined tables. The data can be further filtered, tabulated, charted, and downloaded. Major topics include vital statistics, health service coverage, health systems, inequities in health care, and risk factors
United Nations Health Data
- World Health OrganizationUnit within the United Nations system that is "responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options..." Click on "Countries" to get preliminary health systems and health reports.
- World Bank's HeathStatsHosted by the World Bank, this site contains charts and data on a variety of health subjects, including mortality, immunizations.
- European Health Systems Data (by country)Sponsored by WHO, The European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies has data on several European countries. Check the Health Systems Reviews.
- United Nations Statistics Division--Health DataProvides mortality, fertility, links to social indicators, and other data.
Library of Congress Data
- Library of Congress Federal Research Division Country StudiesCheck out the library of congress country studies, which will have a good start on healthcare access by country.
Reports and Papers
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall: How the Performance of the U.S. Health Care System Compares InternationallyThis report—an update to three earlier editions—includes data from seven countries and incorporates patients’ and physicians’ survey results on care experiences and ratings on dimensions of care. From The Commonwealth Fund.
- The Grass is Not Always Greener: A Look at National Health Care Systems Around the WorldThis well-researched paper from the Cato Institute explores different types of national health care systems and then focuses on specific countries, including France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Norway, Portugal, Greece, Netherlands, Great Britain, Switzerland, Germany, and Canada.
The CIA's World Factbook provides concise country overviews. Use the dropdown menu on the right side of this website.
World Bank Data
Go to the World Bank website to access information about individual countries, topics, or indicators.
Click here to go directly to the HealthStats Portal.
World Health Care Delivery System Reports
Click here to choose from a list of reports on Health Systems and Policies on countries and regions around the world.
Note: This is a direct link to the reports that I showed in class!