BTS 2260 Paul (Willitts)
Using Biblical Dictionaries and Encyclopedia
- Biblical dictionaries define and explain biblical words, sometimes at considerable length. The articles identify and describe people, places, corporate bodies, concepts, and events in the Bible and summarize the variety of perspectives, controversies, and questions about these. The articles also provide summaries and analysis of the books of the Bible.
- Identify key words, persons, events, or corporate bodies that relate to your subject. Then read about those words, persons, events, and corporate bodies in biblical dictionaries to acquire a basic understanding. This preliminary understanding will be helpful when you continue your research in books, commentaries, and journal articles that deal with your subject.
- Reference work articles will usually provide select bibliographies for each article, pointing toward your next steps in research. When consulting multiple reference works, pay particular attention to sources that are repeated in more than one resource. Such repetition is a sign of the significance of those works. Make such works a high priority for your research.
Reference Books: Paul
- Dictionary of Paul and His Letters byCall Number: Ref BS2650.2 .D53 1993
- Dictionary of Paul and His Letters (online) byCall Number: BS2650.2 .D53 1993eb
- Dictionary of New Testament Background byCall Number: Ref BS2312 .D53 2000
- Dictionary of New Testament Background (online) byCall Number: BS2312 .D53 2000eb
- The Blackwell Companion to Paul byCall Number: Ref BS2651 .B53 2011
Reference Books: Whole Bible
- The Anchor Bible Dictionary, 6 vols. byCall Number: Ref BS440 .A54 1992
- The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 5 vols. byCall Number: Ref BS440 .N443 2006
- Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception byCall Number: Ref BS440 .E539
- Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception (online)Call Number: BS440 .E460 2009eb
Bible Gateway is a good online substitute for a concordance. It allows you to search for specific words in the biblical text, in a wide variety of translations.
We Have Your Textbooks
- Fellowship of Differents: Showing the World God's Design for Life Together byCall Number: BV600.3 .M357 2015
- Thinking Through Paul: An Introduction to his Life, Letters, and Theology byCall Number: BS2650.52 .L665 2014
- Paul: His Story byCall Number: BS2506.3 .M87 2004