BTS 2210: Jesus of Nazareth (Willitts)
Using Biblical Dictionaries and Encyclopedia
- Biblical dictionaries define and explain biblical words, sometimes at considerable length. The articles identify and describe people, places, corporate bodies, concepts, and events in the Bible and summarize the variety of perspectives, controversies, and questions about these. The articles also provide summaries and analysis of the books of the Bible.
- Identify key words, persons, events, or corporate bodies that relate to your subject. Then read about those words, persons, events, and corporate bodies in biblical dictionaries to acquire a basic understanding. This preliminary understanding will be helpful when you continue your research in books, commentaries, and journal articles that deal with your subject.
- Reference work articles will usually provide select bibliographies for each article, pointing toward your next steps in research. When consulting multiple reference works, pay particular attention to sources that are repeated in more than one resource. Such repetition is a sign of the significance of those works. Make such works a high priority for your research.
Reference Books: New Testament
- Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2nd ed. byCall Number: Ref BS2555.2 .D53 2013
- Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2nd ed. (online) byCall Number: BS2555.52 .D53 2013eb
- Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels byCall Number: Ref BS2555.2 .D53 1992
- Encyclopedia of the Historical Jesus byCall Number: Ref BT303.2 .E56 2008
- Handbook for the Study of the Historical Jesus byCall Number: BT303.2 .H364 2011eb
- Historical Jesus: A Comprehensive Guide byCall Number: Ref BT297 .T4713 1998
Reference Books: Whole Bible
- The Anchor Bible Dictionary, 6 vols. byCall Number: Ref BS440 .A54 1992
- The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 5 vols. byCall Number: Ref BS440 .N443 2006
We Have Your Textbooks
- Jesus: A Very Short Introduction byCall Number: BT203 .B38 2011
- Rediscovering Jesus byCall Number: BT203 .C35 2015
- The Cross and the Lynching Tree (print and online) byCall Number: BR563.N4 C648 2011
- Jesus and His World byCall Number: BT303 .E8995 2012
- Fourfold Gospel: A Theological Reading of the New Testament portraits of Jesus byCall Number: BS2555.52 .W378 2016
Bible Gateway is a good online substitute for a concordance. It allows you to search for specific words in the biblical text, in a wide variety of translations.