Please see our Library Services during COVID page for the Brandel Library's current policies. See North Park University's COVID-19 update page for more information about how the campus is responding to COVID-19.
BTS 3410: Women, the Bible, and the Church (Veeneman)
Finding Commentaries in Brandel Library
- Commentaries on the Bible provide interpretations of Scripture passages, usually for a book of the Bible or portion of a book of the Bible.
- You can find commentaries in two places in Brandel Library:
- the Reference Section (on the 1st floor, behind the Reference Desks)
- the General Collection (on the 3rd floor).
- The same classification system applies to both collections, so the call number will be identical, but the location listed in the catalog differs.
- Reference copies of commentaries cannot leave the Library, so these copies cannot be checked out, but can be read in the Library or portions of them scanned or photocopied.
- The General Collection copies may be checked out of the Library.
- The Reference collection contains many of the most important commentaries, so it is a good place to begin your browsing for commentaries.
- In some cases, we have copies of a commentary in both places, but not often.
- Only a few biblical commentaries are available digitally as yet, but we are purchasing them as they are published.
- Separate records in the library catalog are retrieved for the print and the digital/electronic formats (which are marked with an 'eb' at the end of the call number), so it is easy to see when these commentaries are available for your subject.
- Commentaries are shelved in the order of the Protestant canon (as distinguished from the Roman Catholic canon of the Bible or the order of the Hebrew Bible).
- Commentaries may be individual, free-standing books or they may be part of a series.
- Some (mostly older) commentary series are shelved all together, but most series are shelved separately, so that the volumes are in the appropriate section for the book/books/portion of book on which they comment.
- Call numbers for the Old Testament are BS 701-BS 1830.
- Call numbers for the New Testament are BS 1901- BS 2970.