Please see our Library Services during COVID page for the Brandel Library's current policies. See North Park University's COVID-19 update page for more information about how the campus is responding to COVID-19.
BTS 1850: Introduction to the Bible (Nassif)
Bible Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Using Biblical Dictionaries and Encyclopedia
- Biblical dictionaries (or dictionaries of the New Testament or some smaller portion) contain articles that define and explain biblical words.
- The articles also identify and describe people, objects, corporate bodies, and events in the Bible.
- In addition, the articles provide summaries and analysis of the books of the Bible.
- If you are writing on a passage in the Bible, identify key words, persons, objects, events, and corporate bodies that appear in your passage.
- Then read about these in biblical dictionaries to acquire a basic understanding.
- This preliminary understanding will be helpful when you research in commentaries, journal articles, and books that deal with your passage.